Friday, May 8, 2009

Star Trek - 2009

Even though this post isn't technically about gadgets or technology or anything, I think it qualifies as gadget - hence, geek - related. Last night, hubby and I went to a Star Trek Preview. I did it cuz he's so cute and funny when he's all excited about some geek thing or other, but I probably wouldn't be reviewing it this early on otherwise. I've now had a full 24 hours to allow the movie to sink into my subconscious so that I can discuss it. I was never a Trekkie in the true sense, but I did watch my fair share of Star Trek reruns and then I even followed the Next Generation for a while. I think this gives me a fair basis of comparison from which to speak.

Right off the bat I have one problem with the new film - the actors are so damn young! I realize they're supposed to be straight out of Star Fleet Academy but even with their superior intellect and superior education, seems to me the median age of this new Star Fleet graduating class would never have made it to the helm of the USS Enterprise. Judging from Star Trek history, these babies at the helm don't seem to reflect the original spirit of the Federation. My guess is they more closely reflect the hopes and dreams of the producers who want to attract a new, younger generation of Star Trek geeks by lowering the age limit required by Star Fleet to be at the helm of a ship like the USS Enterprise. I mean, wasn't William Shatner already in his early 30's when played Captain Kirk?

Zachary Quinto is the exception because he is a little older than Chris Pine or Zoe Saldana and also because he's so damn convincing as young Spock. He really has totally embodied the essence of Spock and kept him very true to original character conception. Unfortunately, I'm not sure some of the others did the same. Chris Pine was great as a cocky young smart ass captain, but which CYSAC? Was he really a "Captain Kirk"? I didn't buy it. He was good and fun and bold and stupid in turns, just like Kirk would have been but something about his performance didn't speak to me the way Quinto's did. And I wasn't totally feeling John Cho as Sulu, which is a shame because I really like him. I had the feeling that the role would have been better served by casting an unknown Asian actor with some martial arts grit. Another actor who totally stole his scenes by being every bit the reincarnation of his predecessor was Anton Yelchin. What a fun and cute-as-a-button Chekov he makes in this film! Really, his performance, while only a supporting bit, was quite wonderful to watch. In terms of staying true to the original character, I'd have to say he was as good as Quinto.

Another actor who really stood out for me in this film was Eric Bana as Nero. What monstrous villainy he was able to portray. Truly hateful and unctuous and psychologically twisted like a villain should be. I loved his portrayal until the last 20 minutes when there were moments of weakness which I don't think a Romulan of Nero's ferocity would have exhibited even in his last dying breath. But I'm guessing that was a directorial decision.

Speaking of directorial decisions, my only other gripe was the choice of love interest chosen for young Spock. I won't go into details because I'd hate to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. Let's just say I felt the choice was "illogical."

All in all though, it really was a fun ride and the plot was a good Star Trek plot that held together. The docking station out in space is an awesome sight on a big screen and even the first time you see the monstrosity of the Romulan ship is damn cool. The CGI representations of various space events, like the black holes, are cool to watch as well. The way that the old characters converged with the their younger selves is handled really nicely. Leonard Nimoy's old, familiar face adds a touch of sentimentality and the homage helps to bring the casts median age up a bit. All in all, I would totally recommend it to anyone, Trekkie or not. It really is a fully enjoyable Star Trek movie. Although I feel that real purists will take similar issue with the movie as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment