Saturday, December 3, 2011

Wow, I've been seriously remiss in my duties here. So much I could have been blogging about but haven't. Why don't we start with Nokia. Why!??!! If you've read my blog, you know that my love of cell phones, and gadgets in general, goes back to my love for my first Nokia phone. I still maintain that, of all the phones I've had, including my current Android phone, it really was on of the best I've ever used. No dropped calls, crystal clear, etc. I realize the first phones weren't expected to do as much, but I had other Nokia phones after that and they kept that level of quality in their phones all the way up until the past year or two when I gave up on them because, well... they dropped the ball.

 Nokia has gone the way of  BETA and (brain froze there but I'm sure there are many other examples of superior quality being squeezed out by inferior products.) The same way that Britney Spears took over pop music while I heard subway performers in New York with more talent than she had. Perhaps that's a bit unfair to Britney. No doubt she worked hard but so did Nokia... or did they? What were they thinking toying around with the likes of Maemo while Apple and Android were changing and captivating the market? Now they're stuck with Windows as a platform.

I once had a Windows phone. A Motorola Q. I actually really liked it. At the time it was a great little multi tasker with a decent enough phone and a great speakerphone. I used it for a full year so I know that a Windows phone can keep a girl like me happy. But not now. Not after I've had Android. I couldn't go back to Windows now. I love the Android platform and I love my current cell phone (the Desire Z - more on that another time). Truth is, if I could get Android on a Nokia phone (like the Nokia E7-00, except they need to work on screen size) that would be my gadget girl fantasy! (If anyone knows how to jailbreak a Nokia E7 and root it, please email me.)

I think others would agree that a phone like that might make Apple nervous. But no... Nokia got desperate and got Windows. They will attract people who haven't known the iPhone or Android and maybe they're a bit gullible and/or old and don't-need-fancy-gadgets or perhaps they're just slo-o-o-w. While there is a large demographic of people who fit into these categories, they still cannot turn a profit on this population alone. I'm not sure how they will stay alive. But I hope they manage to stay afloat long enough to come up with a rival because, at some point, it would be nice to have a Smartphone with great software AND great hardware. I know, I know...those of you with iPhones think it already exists. I will admit the iPhone is pretty close to that ideal but I think if anyone had the potential to show you up, it was Nokia... when they were still trying. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment