Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Asus 1000 HE User Comparison

My take on the Asus 1000HE...

Preview picture:

Left: Dell Inspiron 1520
Middle: Asus 1000HE
Right: Asus 701







My main computer for the past 2 years had been the 15 inch Dell Inspiron 1520. I am a returning student and part-time writer and web designer so I bought it because it's a good, solid machine. Powerful and useful. I can do everything I need on it. However, it’s portability became questionable and the battery life went from what was originally 4 hours to a pitiful 2 hours, 10 minutes of that spent booting up (although it runs really well after the crawl to life). I tried taking it to class a couple of times but decided that I’d sooner lug a stone tablet. My husband took pity on me and bought me a used Asus 701 off of a friend.

The Asus 701 is a nice little computer but it’s just lacking way too much for real productivity. Suddenly I had this tiny little featherweight laptop that I could stick in most of my medium size purses (which was really nice) but still I was disappointed. The screen was small and awkward to view and the keys were cramped to type on. I got used to it and managed to type up notes for a year but it was annoying as hell. The last straw was when Flash refused to work on my browsers and no matter how I tried, Linux just wasn’t cooperating. I asked Linux geeks and they explained what to do to install it. It should have worked but that didn’t (that sucked). Since that greatly limited my browsability and sharply diminished my enjoyment of surfing, that pretty much cinched it. It was time to replace it. And I did NOT want Linux. I needed an OS I can relate to.

That's when I read about the Asus 1000HE. “9 hours and 10 inches!!” I cried. (My husband loves me running around screaming this when people don’t know it’s about a computer.) But yes, it touted a 9 hour battery life and a 10” computer with Windows XP. Sounded mighty fine to me. So I ran out and ordered me one. It is beautiful. It’s only slightly bigger than the 750 but that’s a good thing. It’s still small enough to fit in most medium sized bags and it’s light. And the keyboard is oooooooh soooooo much easier to type on! That tiny little bit of wiggle room made all the difference. The speed is really fantastic, the screen is clear and most things you do on it look fine and fit in the screen. It can still get a tiny little bit annoying with certain websites that don’t quite fit inside the window, but it’s quite livable. The best thing is I can load programs I want and update things without needing a degree in jar or tar or whatever-the-hell-that-other-program is talking about. I'm happy to report it does about 7 hours unplugged. I guess 9 hours is if you turn it on and just stare at it.

Will it ever replace my Dell as my main powerhouse? Nope. When it comes to graphics and website design and any other presentation stuff - heck, even just writing papers - the bigger screen and more comfortable keyboard still wins out if you plan to sit for hours. But if you’re away and have to finish that big paper, proposal, presentation, make adjustments to a site… it’s all very comfortably doable on the Asus 1000HE and it could, in theory, be your main machine. I just don’t prefer it for the big jobs. For school and comfortable note writing, it’s really a great, great machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment